Migraines, although not as common as the average headache, are still suffered by 10 million people between the ages of 15 and 69 in the UK alone, according to NHS England. Stated by the same source, migraines have been classified as a “disabling illness”, with headaches being among the most common reasons for attendance at A&E. As such, it’s important that, if you suffer from migraines, the root cause of them is found out so that effective treatment can be given and that’s where Corrective Chiropractic comes in. We have a team of highly-qualified, fully-trained chiropractors at the heart of everything we do, so you can rest assured that you’ll be in safe and comforting hands when choosing us for chiropractic migraine treatment in Milton Keynes.
WHAT CAUSES MIGRAINES?
The exact cause of a migraine is still largely unknown, but they’re widely considered to be as a result of abnormal brain activity that affects blood vessels, chemicals and nerve signals, temporarily, in the brain.
Some causes of migraines include:
- Hormonal changes or imbalances
- Emotional triggers, such as stress or anxiety
- Physical triggers, like neck or shoulder tension or even poor posture, for example
- Dietary triggers, including: dehydration, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, citrus fruits and food containing tyramine (found in smoked fish and some cheeses, among other things)
- Environmental triggers, such as bright lights and flickering screens
- Medication, like sleeping tablets and the combined contraceptive pill, for example
- Migraines can be so debilitating for some that eliminating them completely could change the lives of those who suffer with them regularly
MIGRAINE RISK FACTORS
As highly-experienced chiropractors with a wealth of knowledge to draw upon, we’ll be able to assess your symptoms in combination with the description you gave us in order to establish some of the factors that might be at play. We will ask you some basic health and lifestyle questions in a bid to understand the migraine you’re having as an individual and to try and establish some triggers for them.
Sometimes, migraines can be caused by strenuous exercise, poor sleep quality and even neck and shoulder tension. If it’s found that this is the likely cause of your migraines, then you’ll be able to put your trust into the hands of our skilled chiropractors.
We will work closely with you to identify causes and devise a migraine treatment plan that’ll suit you. The chiropractic migraine treatment plans available in Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas are drafted with the patient in mind, so you can rest assured that your journey with us will be seamlessly tailored to you, as an individual.
Part of this will involve going through a series of tests that are designed to evaluate mechanical and structural imbalances and abnormalities as well as overall, basic nerve function as these could be contributing to your migraines.
What Are The Symptoms Of Migraines?
As a relatively common condition experienced by approximately 10 million people in the UK, as already mentioned, it’s important that we all recognise the symptoms of a migraine so that we can be prepared when we choose to visit a professional, like the ones here at Corrective Chiropractic in Milton Keynes, about rectifying the issue. Some of the symptoms our patients most often refer to are as follows:
- Pain radiating down one side of the head
- Pain located at the base of the skull
- Tender temples and a sore scalp
- The feeling of pressure buildup behind the eye sockets
- A throbbing sensation
- Being sensitive to light, particularly bright lights (either natural or artificial)
- Finding certain smells to be too overwhelming or nauseating
- Experiencing feelings of irritation
- Feeling depressed
- Dizziness and disorientation
- Distortion of the facial muscles
- Nausea either with or without vomiting
Effective Migraine Treatment
Once we have collected and analysed your results and data, we will commit ourselves to devising a tailor-made migraine treatment plan that will ensure excellent, long-lasting results upon completion.
Having a spine that is optimally-aligned, together with the neck, will provide the body and skeletal structure with additional support, therefore improving the cranial nerve function.
To achieve optimum results, it’s imperative that you attend your chiropractic sessions in Milton Keynes, together with complying with the expert advice given by our chiropractors and by making some lifestyle choices, either at home or at work. Your workstation, for example, might need to be altered to allow for better posture or you may be advised to reduce the amount of exercise you do, even if it’s just for the short term. You must also stay as hydrated as possible.
Can A Chiropractic Adjustment Reduce My Migraine?
If you’re well enough and have arrived at our clinic complaining of migraines and seeking treatment for them, then a chiropractic adjustment, performed by one of our skilled chiropractors can result in a considerable relief of symptoms, as well as a faster recovery time. It will not result in the immediate alleviation of your migraines, however, because that will take time.